A month ago, I wrote a column about existing and impending regulations impacting MSPs based on a presentation at the June ConnectWise ITNation Secure conference. One of the recommendations from Ben Nowacky, SVP of product, Axcient, was for MSPs to protect themselves by having customers sign a voluntary waiver of liability. Here’s how a voluntary waiver of liability can protect an MSP, according to Nowacky.
- Assign responsibility for data loss onto clients who choose to opt out of data protection even after being educated on the risks.
- Document a client’s acknowledgement that despite security recommendations, they are choosing not to protect their data.
- Inform clients of the risks you are assuming as their MSP and why the waiver is important for your own business and reputation.
- Reference the waver if ever data cannot be recovered as a result of their choice.
- Avoid accusations of insufficient protection and being blamed for data loss and additional consequences.
Access Related Content